Nutrition PPT | Powerpoint Presentation
Nutrition and its Significance: We all are aware of the feeding habits of plants which are similar to that of human and animals. However, it is indispensable to better understand the terminologies related to various modes of feeding.
Also See: General Topics For Presentation (Ppt)
Nutrition PPT | Powerpoint Presentation
What do you understand by Nutrition and Nutrients?
Human Beings always require energy to perform various types of activities. It is irrefutable that food is necessary to get the energy that is needed. Food is defined as the set of different chemicals consumed by living organisms for the motive of development, repair as well as replacement of body cells, the release of energy and maintains all the processes related to the life. The entire process by which the organisms consumed and utilize food for development and maintenance is known as Nutrition. Moreover, the components of the chemical present in the food are named as Nutrients.
All the nutrients are required to be consumed by the organisms to build and maintain the healthy functions of the body.
Nutrients and its kinds
Nutrients are molecules in food that all living organisms need to make energy, grow, develop and reproduce. They are digested and then broken down into the basic parts to be used by the organism. Moreover, these substances are needed in small amount as well as in large amounts according to the nutrients. Macronutrients and Micronutrients are two important categories of nutrients.
- Macronutrients: The substances which are required for the body in large amounts are known as Macronutrients. These are of three kinds such as Carbohydrates (Sugar), Lipids (Fats) and proteins. Moreover, all such nutrients provide energy to living beings in the form of calories.
To exemplify, there are four calories per day can be consumed from carbohydrates, in protein, there are four calories and nine calories per gram from lipids. So, it indicates that if you have a food product and it is labelled that it contains ten grams of carbohydrates, zero gram of protein and zero gram of fat, then it would have forty calories that can be consumed by a person. Human needs a large number of carbohydrates as it is the main source of fuel for the body and are easily metabolized.
- Micronutrients: Vitamins and minerals are two kinds of Micronutrients. It is required in small amount and they play a vital role in the development of a human being as it regulates the heartbeat, metabolism, cellular pH and density of the bone. Without proper consumption of micronutrients, human being suffered from various ailments such as rickets, scurvy and osteoporosis.
Vitamins are available in two distinctive forms like water-soluble and fat-soluble. At the same token, minerals are available in two forms such as macro-minerals and micro-minerals. Macro-minerals are required in large amount and it encompasses calcium, magnesium, Phosphorus, Sodium and Potassium. The minerals needed in traces are known as Micro-minerals and also known by another name, Trace minerals. It comprises of Iron, Manganese, Copper, Zinc, Iodine, Fluoride and Selenium.
Types of Nutrition
To get a thorough understanding of the nutrients, it is imperative to study the two types of nutrition such as Autotrophic and Heterotrophic. So, Lets’ begin.
- Autotrophic Nutrition: This type of nutrition is found in the autotrophic organisms as they are independent in terms of food processing. There is no need for anything else to prepare their food. Plants get their food from sunlight and water. For instance, blue-green algae and green plants follow autotrophic nutrition.
- Heterotrophic Nutrition: All the heterotrophic organisms follow this mode of nutrition. Moreover, they rely on other animals for their food and it is obvious that humans and animals are most likely to follow this nutrition process. There are four types of heterotrophic nutrition which will help you to understand it in a better way:
- Herbivores: These are the animals that eat only green vegetarian food and never depend on any sort of meat food. They are plant lovers.
- Carnivores: The animals that eat other animals have come under this category and they love human flesh. They are wild and dangerous animals.
- Omnivores: In simple words, human beings are omnivores.
- Cannibals: It covers human beings who love to eat other humans.